Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by smokepole
JB: Just a thought, but the whole "using your real name" thing comes off as a little self-serving, coming from a guy who sells the equipment being discussed.

Smoke,

I have to disagree. By being upfront about who I am and what I do anyone can then put my opinions into context. If I were king everyone would have to post under their own name.

Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Formidilosus

Where do you instruct? Not much info in your signature or profile to evaluate your expertise.

I own my own company. All instructors including myself are military school trained snipers, with special operations and/or high level competition experience. We also all hunt. A lot.

Formidilosus is obviously advertising.

John, I have to disagree with both. First of all, I put everyone's opinions (on this website) into context the same way. By judging the quality of what they have to say, or as some call it "reading sign." Some guys you can tell in one post are just FOS, some take a while to sort out, and a handful of guys obviously know their stuff, no doubt about it.

I'd put you and scenarshooter in that last category. The fact that he doesn't post under his own name really has no bearing.

A cynic could say, "being up front about who you are" is just a good technique to sell more of what it is you're trying to sell. I'm not saying that, just saying I don't really care who uses their name or not. The fact that you do is just personal opinion or preference.

On the second point, it appears to me that Formidolosus was responding to a direct question with a direct answer, and avoided advertising by keeping the name of his company out of it. The only thing ironic about it is that you labeled it as advertising.

I would agree with this. The fact that Formid takes the time to be helpful and post a long description of what he gets paid to teach people, for free, is nothing more than trying to help out his fellow shooters. He's not advertising his name or company, so it doesn't really benefit him economically. I appreciate a lot of the info he posts.