Originally Posted by Certifiable
Pete, no it will primarily be a shorter range gun but I kinda want my cake and eat it too..hence me asking about the scope/rail options. Shootin at distance with these is affordable coupled with way too much fun.
Everything you and boxer say about the milquad reticles can't be denied, I won't even try to argue. But I gots to do some learning on the subject first. The mildot 16x is paid for and sittin so it's most likely gonna find a home on the 54..and again 300 yards is as far as I can go at the time.

If things change later and I get knowledged up, I won't hesitate to make the milquad jump..

The choice between Mildot and Milquad is not a big factor..Both have sub divisions based on Mils. Your Mildot has 5 Mils "of drop" below the horizontal of the crosshairs, where as the the Milquad has 10 Mils

So lets say you own the latest ".25 1/2 Super" and on your Mildot scope, to reach 600m you had to holdover using the 5th Mildot..To go any further, you need to start spinning the elevation turret..

However with the Milquad, you've got any additional 5 Mils of hash marks, meaning you could hold over using the 10th mil hash mark and get out to say 900m with out needing to turn turrets..So the Milquad and Mildot are very similar in concept, but the Milquad has 5 more Mils so will get you further.

Now on what is termed a Mil/Mil scope, the clicks on the turrets are also in Mils, typically with one click = .1 Mil.

So on my scope if I need 15 Mils of elevation to reach 800m, I can either spin the turrets 150 clicks, or spin it 50 clicks (5mils) and use the 10th Mil hash mark on the Milquad reticule to give me another 10mils.

On your scope however, you have MOA turrets, and I am guessing 1click = 1/4MOA so you now need to do a calculation to figure how many clicks equals a Mil ect..its doable, but not so easy..

Going back to a Mil/Mil scope, another example..

Lets say I take a shot at a target approx. 642m away and my drop chart says I need 3.8Mils to get me to650m. I therefore dial in 38 clicks which equals 3.8Mils of elevation and take the shot. I watch for the "splash" and see the shot lands short a couple of feet cause I estimated the range wrong.

Using the Mil hash marks or Mil dots on the reticule of the scope, I can now measure how many Mil hash marks/dots there are from my POI to the Point of Impact. Lets say the bullet hit .5Mils low.

For my second shot, I therefore know I need to add an additional .5Mils of elevation or in other words, another 5 clicks on the elevation turret.

You could do a similar thing just as easily if a scope had an MOA reticule and MOA turrets ie its whats termed "MOA/MOA", but when you mix the units ie MOA turrets and Mildot reticule as in your scope, a different approach is needed, plus some calculations.

As I said before, its doable, but less straight forward and in fact Boxer in his previous post makes some suggestions as to how to get around the issue..

Regards

Peter

Edited to add: Boxer can correct me if I am wrong as I've not run the figures, but I have a strong hunch that to get out to 300yards with your .22LR and that x16 scope, you will manage fine with a 25MOA rail, and the 75MOA rail is really only needed for very long range shooting well in excess of that.

Last edited by Pete E; 06/19/14.