Originally Posted by BobinNH
That's a long ways! smile

I'd call it not so hot, not because of the distance, but because he didn't hit first shot. That can happen at any distance.(yes it's happened to me, too so no one thinks I'm preaching from the choir blush

Someone, trigger man, or the guy giving instructions, wasn't 90% certain.

The kid gets no kudos for being 12 years old.His old man should not start him out that way IMHO. You gotta learn to walk before you can run.

In agreement here!

Easily erroring on the side of caution I would vote unethical. At least this type of shot is not what I would be choosing to encourage my son or any other shooter, young or old to pursue. Paper and steel at this distance are fine and fun. I would take much more satisfaction in closing the distance to less than 400 yards.

Maybe just my perspective here, though I would prefer to see the distance to be closed to 200 yards or less, with 400 yards at max. At 1000 plus yards a lot may go wrong, from accuracy related concerns to calling distance ,wind and simple potential for shooter error in the field. Then there comes the question of terminal performance of the bullet at that distance.

In this case the stars came together. Truly prefer not to encourage anyone else to feel comfortable to take this kind of shot on a magnificent game animal.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19