Originally Posted by bellydeep

Polesmoker,

The subject of banning LR guns was the question at hand.

No, banning LR guns was not the subject at hand, or the subject I commented on. Why don't you go back and see for yourself. Read the posts twice if you have to. You're the one who injected the idea of banning scopes into the discussion.

I don't see how primitive weapons is apples to oranges.

Yes, that's readily apparent, so let me explain it to you. They're different weapons, and they're used in different seasons under different conditions. So not surprisingly they're regulated differently, and for different objectives. In CO and other states muzzleloaders are used in special early seasons. In CO the season falls during the elk rut, and before the general firearms season. Centerfire rifles generally can't be used during the rut. So hunters using muzzleloaders have the huge advantage of hunting during the rut, before everyone else gets a crack at the elk. Hence there is a need to limit the effective range or too many bulls would be taken by a relatively small number of hunters. There is no similar need to limit the effective range during the general season. If too many animals are taken during the general season the DOW will cut the number of tags the next year to let the numbers rebound. The two seasons have different objectives--the general season is used to manage the population, and the special early seasons are used to provide "increased recreational opportunities" meaning more hunters in the field spread out over the season. I got that information from interviews with the DOW staff who worked on the regulations.

I never said I was in favor of banning scopes...

No, you just said that scopes could be banned to limit LR hunting. Great idea, that. Come to think of it, so could rifles.

A wise man is frequently humbled.