As with most things involving hunting I think a lot has to do with mindset.

Used to be that most of the serious hunters I knew looked upon the long range poke as a weapon(tactic) held in reserve for the most extreme set of circumstances they might encounter,and in their view only to be used when the proverbial wheels had fallen off...a wounded animal and preventing escape, a calculated long range shot at a trophy animal they had waited a long time and invested deeply, in time and/or money, and effort to obtain.

Not that these people were necessarily unskilled, because many were match/competition shooters with years under their belt. But they knew all about the critical nature of drift and drop and how easily these things could move a bullet off track, so they were very cautious about chancing it.

That approach seems to have changed today,due largely to the better technology. But the goblins of physics still exist despite the technology. We have better gear to deal with it,and many are better at doping things, but the video demonstrates that we are still a long ways from humans perfecting judgement calls under field conditions...even the best of them.

I'll wager the boys low shot at 1300 yards would have been a solid boiler room hit at 300 yards because the values of drift and drop were about 4 times less,(i have not done the precise math, who cares?). There is a bit more wiggle room for error in the 300 yard poke than the 1300 yard one.

That, to me, is where the ethics come into play...the difference between the 90% lead pipe cinch, and the 50-50% call that could as easily result in a wounding circus as a clean miss. That's where the shoot/don't shoot ethic comes into play for me. I'm never going to say don't do it,but think a guy should really deal with better odds than 50-50,which is actually a really terrible field shooting average on BG animals.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.