Originally Posted by Ringman

Recently I posted on this subject and included Obeying God's Word and the laws of the land. There are people who think using the Bible as your standard is unethical. The idea of ethics presupposes morality which presupposes an Ultimate Standard. There is only One. He has given His standard in His Word, the Bible.

Which version of the Bible would that be? Would it include the books that were arbitrarily omitted? Are you talking about the versions of the books that are included as written in their original languages or the versions that suffered greatly in their multiple translations?

The more I read about the history of the Bible and of ancient times the more convinced I become that the Bible as we know it today, and in particular the New Testament and the books of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, is more a work of man than God. Although I was brought up in a Christian environment and am convinced the human spirit (and the spirit of all living creatures) survives the body, I consider myself more of a Deist than a Christian. The Bible is a self-contradictory collection of books selected by men that excludes many books that I consider more accurate and therefore more important.

Fire-breathing Christians, who can't even agree amongst themselves, would have you believe that unless you subscribe to their particular beliefs you are doomed to eternal Hell. If true, that means most of mankind, past, present and future, would be so condemned. I don't think a loving God would do that, but then I don't think most Christians have any idea what actually constitutes sin. I and many millions of others don't need the Bible to tell us what is ethical and what is not.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 03/05/16. Reason: spelnig

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.