Thought-provoking post, Harry. Once again, I brought up the word "disdain," and it wasn't in reference to the OP, it was a response to Ringman on the use of the word "respect."

Disdain isn't as strong a word as contempt, it just means "not worthy of consideration." Should an elk be worthy of consideration? Is an elk more worthy than a coyote? Lots of people (myself included) would think nothing of taking a low-percentage shot at a coyote but wouldn't do the same with an elk. Because we value elk more than coyotes. Most people do. That's why it costs so much for a NR to hunt elk but not a coyote.

As far as the Benoits, I think the comparison is apples and oranges. They developed their style of hunting to fit the animals and the cover they hunt. They track and then shoot moving animals because that's the best way to kill deer where they hunt. And yes, they might miss the first shot or wound a whitetail with a shot but I'd be willing to bet they're successful more often than not because they'e very good at what they do.

If they tried to hunt on their home turf like the guys in the video, we wouldn't be talking about them because no one would know who they are. But if they came out west and saw that bull at 1300 yards, I'm guessing they'd sneak in close and get a high-percentage shot, and it would be high-percentage regardless of whether the bull was moving or not.

A wise man is frequently humbled.