Well since the .41 Magnum isn't even under consideration and that has been my main revolver cartridge for over 25 years I looked at my favorite guns and asked the question which caliber could be put in these and still have what I have for what I do with them. Between the .44 Magnum and .45 Colt I came up with the same answer I gave a friend who was heavily invested in both .44 and .45 who was getting older and wanted to pare down... .44 Special.

My favorite revolvers are 4" S&W N-frames and the Freedom Arms 97.

I've had several 29s and 629s over the years in .44 Magnum and they are simply unpleasant to shoot. And don't ask why I can shoot a 4" .41 Magnum all day long with mild or wild loads... With a .44 Special I can up the velocity up to 1200 fps if needed and is about all the velocity I can take from a S&W. A slim barreled 629 Mountain Gun or 24-1 to me are just perfect vehicles for a .44 bullet.

In the FA 97 the .44 Special is the ideal round for those guns as the cylinders are short and as such .41, .44 and .45 Colt cast bullets have to be deep seated or chosen with care to not exceed max LOA. Another SA would be a nice Ruger mid-frame flat top .44 Special...

I've had .45 Colt in Ruger, Colt and S&W revolvers and just never did bond with the round. Just sold my last one a few weeks ago and probably won't own another.

So I guess my answer would be .44 Magnum but there wouldn't be much Magnum brass in the house...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....