Originally Posted by Whitworth1
Originally Posted by HawkI
Unless they're Keith SWC's, where the shoulder plays a role as well.

The shoulder has been found, by the likes of Veral Smith, to contribute nothing to the wound channel. If a big wound channel is the goal, the "Keith" bullet shouldn't be considered over any of LBT's designs. Nothing wrong with them, there are simply better options today.

It has been found, by the likes of Elmer Keith and Brian Pearce (and to a hugely lesser degree, myself), that the Keith shoulder will cut a full diameter hole through the entire wound channel.

The LBT bullets (of which I have upwards of 50 moulds) rely on the meplat and velocity when using their widest designs, which you mentioned can produce even larger wound diameters.

If one was comparing sedate loads (think Unique, Power Pistol or Longshot powders) to use in their Mod. 25 or 29, the Keith designs give up nothing to the LFN and tend shoot better than the short, fat WFN's of the same weight, all the way down to plinking speeds. They will also still cut the same predictable full diameter hole...

Of course at the top end, the WFN/LFN LBT's will do more and do it with fine accuracy.

I've found using loads in the woods that one doesn't have to wear hearing protection for or gives one ringing ears for two days kill deer or hogs just fine; the 45 again does this better than the 44...just so we don't annoy the 44 fans, I'd pick the 44 over the .357 for the same reasons, diameter notwithstanding.