I will be the first one to admit i ought to stay silent, and i surely don't have the experience of some of those posting.
Having said that:
I have a number of 44's, including a first year production colt in 44.40 with an additional 44special cylinder.
Number of 44magnums, and some specials.
I have a number of ruger/smith 45's.
I also have been casting for at least 20 years.
In real life i don't see a lot of difference between them subject to how they are loaded. Like counting angels on a pinhead.
I do know a 41 magnum put the lights out on a elk quite efficiently.
I do know one of those rcbs 270grain cast to 280 grain hollow points i fired throught some pretty heavy stuff expanded over .9 inches.
I do know that 310 grain 44 lee bullet went through ten one gallon milk jugs and was not deformed.
And I do believe metplate is important in either round.
I have some 230 grain lead pills for 38/357 that look like a beer barrel, they thunk stuff.
And i think all of them in that caliber will take care of most anything most people would ever run across.
But, I myself think the 45colt does it without the blast, recoil nastiness associated with the higher level 44 loads.
and as i remember one statement posted here is incorrect, for sure the 45colt predated the 44special and the 44russian.
and i do think for the small differences in diameter, 41, 44, 45 no matter if loaded with black powder, smokeless or whatever to around 1000fps to 1100fps do pretty much the same thing. Some with less nastiness. But what do i know.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 02/23/16.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO