45 colt for me, I had two Super BlackHawks in 44 and a 29 and I have moved on to a 45 LC 5.5" bisley.

Its basically what others have said. I can shoot a cast load at 1100fps with pleasure. No blast or concussion like a 44 mag. I started with heavy bullets but now have moved back down to matching loads a wfn 265 for hunting and a 255 for fun and practice. Both shoot to the same POI. Based upon a small sample even the 265 is more than enough on deer. If I felt the need to go for elk/moose with the Bisley I could back up to the heavy bullet.

If I ever thought I needed more than what a 45 colt could do I wouldn't look for more velocity, but more bore size and bullet, probably one of those 480's that they just made.

BTW haveing the cylinder reamed was cheap and easy and made a difference with my bisley.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge