I'm not talking about Veral Smith's theory. I'm talking about actual bullets we can pick up the phone or the mouse and buy. We can never assume that all things are equal. There is no credible discussion about this possible without addressing meplat. Yes, a .45 WFN is larger than a .44 WFN but this distinction is never made. Folks ASSUME the .45 is always bigger. It ain't. I'm sure there are more than a few who would ass-u-me that the 325gr .45 from CPBC is bigger than the 320gr .44 from the same maker. It isn't. The .44 is bigger by a good margin. Go up to the 335gr, which is the same LFN design. It's only larger by .005", which is nothing. Except that the 320gr .44 penetrates measurably better.

The Linebaugh article is very obviously slanted towards the .45Colt. You don't think anything has changed in the last 30yrs? How about bullet selection? Nothing in the article mentions meplat diameter. Keep in mind that Linebaugh makes a living building properly dimensioned .45's, not .44's. Because the .44 doesn't need a custom or rechambered cylinder to shoot well.

I'm shooting nearly identical guns and there is no friggin' difference between them with comparable loads. You guys act as if we're comparing standard pressure .45Colt to full pressure .44Mag.

[Linked Image]