Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
.45 Colt mostly because it does the same thing as a .44 Magnum at less pressure, about 10kpsi less when both are loaded to the max.

One of the gun world's oft repeated old wives' tales. Newton's 3rd Law also has an issue with it. wink

If you're going to quote me please quote the whole thing. I didn't say anything about unequal recoil, I was talking about muzzle pressure.

".45 Colt mostly because it does the same thing as a .44 Magnum at less pressure, about 10kpsi less when both are loaded to the max. I shot .44 Magnums for well over 20 years before it dawned on me that it wasn't the kick that bothered me, it was the concussive muzzle blast. Switched to a .45 Colt and in equal length barrels at equal velocities the difference was notable.

The muzzle pressure is what causes muzzle blast. Since the .45 Colt will start out using less chamber pressure to drive an equal weight bullet to an equal velocity, the muzzle pressure in equal length barrels - colloquially "muzzle blast", is less as well. That was my criteria for preferring the .45.

But if some prefers the .44, go for it, it's one of the all time great handgun chamberings. Never let an internet forum or anything else dissuade anyone from choosing whatever they like best for whatever reason they like it.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!