Originally Posted by frogman43
Originally Posted by AJD
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
The throats on this 45 are perfect.
[Linked Image]

Could someone please help me out with the specifics of this pistol?

The way I load nowadays, I can tell little difference between the performance of the two cartridges. My days of pushing the outer limits of are in the rvm.

So when I’m picking it is usually done because of the platform rather than the cartridge.

I do rather enjoy the S&W N frames and wish they produced more variety in 45colt, but it is what it is. So when I’m looking at DA it is usually 44mag when SA it is generally 45colt. That being said I do have a dandy 25-5 that I have owned for over 30 years and I covet mightily.

AJD

Actually, the N Frame S&W you are looking at there, owned by my friend, Jim, is an S&W 25-7 in .45 Colt. There were only 2,000 made according to my understanding. They came with came with a 5" barrel, unfluted cylinder, and were inscribed with "Model of 1987" on the side.

I have one as well, and also know of one that was mutilated and turned into a snubby, so that only leaves 1,997 possibly left in the world for you to find..... grin

Very accurate, and a pleasure to shoot with my loads of 250 RNFP at about 1,100 fps

Thanks for the response/heads-up.

I really like my 25-5 and that looks like it would be a great one to have and use. My 25-5 is a 6" and I always thought a 5" would be one to have.

Sounds like you are correct, a tough one to find.

I have a Classic 44Mag with the 5" barrel, it was a special run, IDK 20 or so years ago, but it has the full length underlug. I don't much care for the full length under-lug. So I am trying to stay away from that.

I also have a 686+ that was a stocking dealer special about 10 or so years ago. It has the 5" barrel with the short lug. I like it, IMO the way a S&W is supposed to be. I've never seen any others like it.

Last edited by AJD; 02/25/16.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.