Originally Posted by mathman
If the engine hasn't run in a good while I'd pull it and do a complete disassembly and thorough cleaning. All new gaskets, seals, yadda yadda.

Same with the carb.

I'd be tempted to replace the valve springs too.

He drives it once a month or so. Sometimes takes it out to go to the VFW, but not as often in the winter.

It will not be sold. This is staying in the family. I just want to make sure we're giving him a fair amount so that the feds don't come back looking for more money after he passes.

He's an interesting guy. Has only been away from home 3 times. He was drafted to go to Vietnam. Is very non-verbal (we think Asbergers, but he's nearly 75, so no one even knew what that was decades ago). I can only imagine his time in the army was a little like Forrest Gump. He'd do what you tell him and I can imagine his platoon buddies keeping an eye on him. The other two times he went to the Black Hills with my Father in Law and their folks. Outside of that, he's never been outside the county. He worked on the family farm his entire life until they sold it and retired, then he worked as farm labor another 10 years or so until his body broke down.

That car is funny. Never took the plastic off the seats, never took the plastic off the seat belts. I'm pretty sure no one has ever sat in the back seat and I think only his mother sat in the front the odd times he would drive it to the store with her.

He's gonna be one of those guys that has $100,000 stuffed in coffee cans or mattress, or maybe he only has a few quarters to rub together. Nobody will know until after he passes.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]