This thread got me to look in my copy of "Finn Aargard Selected Works" to see what he had to say about different cartridges. Didn't find anything specifically on the .280 but did find the article "Shots with a 7x64mm". Next to the obligatory picture of the cartridge under scrutiny standing next to similar cartridges is the blurb "...Finn rates the .270 Winchester, 7x64mm and .280 Remington as three of a kind."

I also found this advice in "Killing Power Myths Fact or Fiction?": "Rather than worry about killing power formulas, a hunter would do better to study animal anatomy and learn field marksmanship." In this I think he agrees with Mr. 270 himself who once wrote, "it's where you hit'em, not what you hit'em with."

Something else of interest, in the first paragraph of the 7x64mm article where he is relating how he bought his first one, he originally went to look for a 7x57 but the store had none. He writes, "...they tried to sell me a .30-06 instead. I opined at the time that the '06 was too close in power to my .375 H&H big gun. I wanted a wider spread in power..."

Just in case anybody wanted his opinion of the .30-06... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!