Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy

Popularity has little to do with "killing performance". You really mean to be taken seriously to suggest that a bullet that is .007" difference in diameter is going to eclipse another in "killing power"?

Lighten up. This is just a forum...and it's all for fun.

If you read everything i said, instead of cherry picking,you'd know I think the 280 has nothing over the 270. This business of .007 in bullet diameter making the 280 something special is the purview of the 280 lovers....not me.

So "no" I don't believe there's a difference. Stop putting words in my mouth.

I use them both, interchangeably. There is no difference in killing effectiveness between them. That's bullet dependent.

Popularity has nothing to do with killing effectiveness; but if the 270 didn't work well as a BG cartridge, it would not have sold and been popular.It's record in that regard is obvious. The 280 in all it's various guises, fell flat, because it tried to fill a niche already occupied by the 270,and did nothing really different.

The 7 Rem Mag polished it off. frown That's part of cartridge history too.

I get the fun part. I love reading revisionist history. I don't care who heard of what in 1925. You had the 270 and no 280. Those are facts. wink

I think it's silly the topic even comes up....but 280 lovers refuse to let it die. "if this"...."if that"...the 270 would never exist. Hilarious.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.