Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by BullShooter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
... Here's a quote from somebody who used the .270 considerably in its early years: "The expansion of bullets is controlled by various means. One of the first successful bullets of this type was the original 130-grain .270 bullet called by Winchester the Pointed Soft-Point Expanding. It had a heavy solid base, thick jacket along the shank, a sharp point protected from battering by a cap of tin. This is the bullet that made the .270's reputation. I have never seen it fail to perform according to the script and I have shot with it animals from the size of javelina to animals the size of moose."

From page 188 of The Hunting Rifle by Jack O'Connor, 1970, The Winchester Press, 314pp, ISBN 087691007X

That quote sounded word for word like it came out of O'Connor's "The Big Game Rifle" 1952 also.

moosemike-
Agreed. The Big-Game Rifle from 1952 was the first book I took off the shelf to search for MD's quote. I did not find it there, so I went next to the 1970 book where I did find it.

The similar passage in the 1952 book is this: "Western-Winchester preserves semi-spitzer shape with the Silvertip by protecting the soft lead point by a thin jacket of tin. Same stunt was used on the now obsolete Winchester protected soft-point bullets in .25, .270, and .30 caliber. They are now obsolete, but the 130-grain .270 bullet of that construction with its sharp point and heavy reinforced base was largely responsible for making the reputation of the .270 cartridge. It was an expensive bullet to manufacture, but so are the Bronze Points and the Silvertips."

--Bob