Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy

Popularity has little to do with "killing performance". You really mean to be taken seriously to suggest that a bullet that is .007" difference in diameter is going to eclipse another in "killing power"?

Lighten up. This is just a forum...and it's all for fun.

If you read everything i said, instead of cherry picking,you'd know I think the 280 has nothing over the 270. This business of .007 in bullet diameter making the 280 something special is the purview of the 280 lovers....not me.

So "no" I don't believe there's a difference. Stop putting words in my mouth.

I use them both, interchangeably. There is no difference in killing effectiveness between them. That's bullet dependent.

Popularity has nothing to do with killing effectiveness; but if the 270 didn't work well as a BG cartridge, it would not have sold and been popular.It's record in that regard is obvious. The 280 in all it's various guises, fell flat, because it tried to fill a niche already occupied by the 270,and did nothing really different.

The 7 Rem Mag polished it off. frown That's part of cartridge history too.

I get the fun part. I love reading revisionist history. I don't care who heard of what in 1925. You had the 270 and no 280. Those are facts. wink

I think it's silly the topic even comes up....but 280 lovers refuse to let it die. "if this"...."if that"...the 270 would never exist. Hilarious.

Point is there has been some form of a 7mm (284) on a 30/06 capacity case in existence since 1917-1918 (whenever) and it has not even dented the sales, popularity and big game killing performance of the 270 Winchester,and never will.

Your exact words.

As a note the 280 lovers comment. I like the 280, I've owned and hunted wtih two of them. I have hunted and liked the 270, the 7 Rem Mag, the 06 and several others. I've come to the conclusion, however, that for my type of hunting, there is nothing that I cannot do with a 308 or 7-08 that I can do with the others. YMMV