Most people I know the gun is just a tool to complete the hunt. To me, the gun is just as important as the hunt. I like odd things and enjoy using them. I'm also willing to take whatever I get if I do end up on the bad end of travel issues. I've been flying with guns since the late 80s and take as many precautions as I can. the worst thing that happened is all my hunting gear ended up in Dutch Harbor for a week without me. I had my rifle and ammo and hunted elsewhere until the airlines got things straitened out.

I'm also not trying to make money or only taking THE once in a lifetime trip. If I was I'm sure I'd look at things different. If a hunt turned into a photo shoot it wouldn't ruin my trip, but I know that's not how it is for many. I also get that sometimes things are out of your control. I'm OK with that too.

Ending up with no ammo to me is no different than having a scope or gun malfunction and not be fixable on the trip. Either way, the gun is out of commission and something else has to be done. Sometimes I travel with two guns, sometimes I tempt fate. I feel on almost every hunt I've been on, I could have come up with some solution to be able to hunt.

All to say you give sound advice and I was in no way trying to trump it. I enjoy your writing even if I don't always follow your advice.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot about the trip my gun didn't show for 24hrs after I got there. had ammo though!

Last edited by Kodiakisland; 06/03/16.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.