Originally Posted by bellydeep
Originally Posted by Crowmagnon
I have five 280s, the last one a Ruger #1. I would not even dream of buying ammo over the counter for a serious hunt. I guess I would qualify as a rifle loony. I used 140gr ballistic tips for roe deer and wild boar and 140 accubonds for Ibex, red stag and roe. I am not crazy about the 140 gr accubonds, and plan to try heavier bullets next time. Roe deer are no problem with the ballistic tips in 140 gr.
A very experienced friend of mine took the 7X64 to an extensive African trip and was VERY disappointed. He now uses a 270 but for roe only. He bought a 375 also.... He over reacted.
After hitting a relaxed wild boar with two perfect shots using 140 gr ballistic tips we had to track him in a tall wheat field with flashlights in the middle of the night. Now I load 175gr Swift A Frames. This is precisely the advantage of the 280 over the 270. (Also the 280 is way too common for a rifle loony)
I am not deranged, when the wife of a very good friend asked me to choose a rifle for her to give him on his 60th birthday, I bought a 30-06 with a plastic stock and free floating barrel.
So far he has 128 roe, many wild boars and stags, fallow deer, Ibex and has done Scottish doubles on wolf,roe and wild boar. He started with 150gr for roe etc but now uses only 180s for everything.
For my son I chose a 308 and he has gotten his whitetail every year for the last 15. I load monolithic only. I also got him a 300 win mag since he is not sophisticated at all...
I guess the question is who has the most fun....

What was the problem with the 7x64?

Let me make sure I got that. You load monolithic only...for whitetails...for 308?