Four of us put together Five 257 Roys a few years ago. We had Dave Kiff make us a reamer specifically throated for the 115 Berger VLD. The barrels were all 3 groove SS lilja ranging in length from 24 inches to 28 inches. Components: moly coated Berger 115 VLDs, Norma brass, Fed 215 match primers, and RL 25. Bullet jump ranged from .070" to .100".

Since we built them, eight western deer (Coues wt and mule deer) were taken as well as three elk. This bullet/barrel/chambering combination flat out performs! Distances ranged from just over 600 yds to 150 yds with some kills being DRTs. I watched my friend Walt shoot
a coues wt this fall at 400 yds from my 28" Roy. The shot was behind the shoulder with the deer exactly square to the shooter. It was an instant drop dead with not even a twitch.

I would encourage any long distance deer/antelope hunter to give this combination a try. The 257 Roy is very popular here for a reason. It offers the perfect combination of flat trajectory, killing power and reasonable recoil. It is fun to use for the occasional jackrabbit/coyote too.