Originally Posted by himmelrr
I'd trust Mark's advice any day. I've yet to read anything but smart, "reasonable man" type responses from him.

I believe you are in fact getting those velocities with your rifle. I am not calling you a liar. I also believe that load is way over pressure and you are fool if you think it is safe unless the load has been pressure tested.
According to Hodgden, a standard 25-06 load using IMR4831 and an 87gr bullet gives about 3350fps. Your getting 600fps more. AI'ing a cartridge will not give you that much of a jump in performance without an associated huge jump in pressure.

Another one for ignore...

RH

When people want to look like they know about something they have no personal experience with, they'll quote scources. This here is a tell..."According to Hodgden..." Now this guy's automatically an authority because he saw it in the HodgdOn manual.

I've been through this crap too many times with self styled ex-purts who knew better than me what was happening with my rifle. On what grounds? Well, because possibly they don't know what they're doing and haven't got it right yet, or just as likely because of what they read in some reloading manual. But funniest thing.....look in the manual at the test setup. Different barrel, damn well a different chamber, different powder lot, different bullet, different brass and primer, and different seating depth. In other words, nothing's the same. And then there's the extreme paranoia necessary when publishing loads. Yet there're always people who say "that can't be right because the ----- manual says (such and such)."

The "ex-purts" love to cite pressure.....makes 'em sound knowledgeable. So I'll ask you himmelrr, how do YOU determine what's a safe load and what isn't? Do you pressure test loads? Or do the way most everyone does.....by letting the brass tell you. Brass is the weakest link in the system and it'll be in trouble long before the gun is in trouble. When someone says they're getting a certain level of performance, you saying the load's unsafe simply because of what you think or what you've interpolated from something you read - and not from actual experience with the cartridge - makes you look foolish.