Gunsmith in Texas specializes in 25/06's...every good Texican should own a 25/06.

He uses 26" Shilen #5 contour, 1-12 twist, R#25, 100g Sierra flat base and Sierra 117g Flat base bullets only, with Fed 215's. Velocity with the Sierra 100's is 3650 and 3350 with the Sierra 117's, using tough winchester brass only. Groups with the 100's is in the .375 range and in the .425 range with the 117's. Pressure is low on the 100's and the only thing that I did was neck size the cases; pressure on the 117's was max, needing full length sizing after firing, but no heavy bolt lift or case head scuffing.

The 1-12 twist will not shoot a 100g Hornady, Nosler, or Barnes bullet of any style, only the 100g Sierra Flat base and the Sierra 117g Flat base will stabalize in the 1-12 twist.

This may or may not interest the quarter bore shooters.

This particular rifle belongs to a friend. I was telling him about my 257's when it came up in conversation that he was receiving the 25/06 from Texas where he has a 25,000 acre deer lease. He asked me to load his ammo and work up the load. I called the gunsmith and he gave me the load. I did not question his judgment, however crazy it sounded to me. I loaded the ammo, set up my Ohler 35P, and simply could not believe the accuracy, velocity, and lack of pressure on the 100's. I only tried the loads that the gunsmith told me to use. It was the first time in my life that it only took me 4 rounds to sight in the gun and another six rounds to develop two extremely accurate loads with two different bullet weights. I of course verified the loads on two different days to ensure the stability of the loads, and nothing changed...accuracy with extreme speed.

I can't say that I understand the dynamics of this Texican's load, I just except it for what it is after meeting 4 other guys that have rifles built by the same guy that shoot the same load. These guys cull a lot of deer and hogs every year.

Last edited by keith; 01/22/10.