Keith-my long barreled 270 was a Lilja #2 cut to 25". I ran top end "book loads" and got the following speeds.

130/135's=3200 to 3300 (lot of powder depending)
140's= 3050-3100 (lot of powder depending)
150's= 3K and a bit more (lot of powder depending)

I pretty much used R22 for all this work and most of this work with the long tube was done back in 2003-2005. I generally ran 59/22 with the 130's, 58 with the 140's and 57 with the 150's if I recall right.

Shortly after that I cut the tube to 23" (didn't like the long feel on a mtn rifle and it wouldn't fit my scabbard @ 25") and I also began to adopt the idea of once I find out what top end speed is for a rig I then drop off 100 fps and hunt/shoot/practice with it.

I run dotz on my hunting rigs so for me it just doesn't matter if I am at this or that speed as I can set them up to hit to 500 real easily at about any speed.

Make no doubt about it I've spent my time in the red zone, I've popped my share of primers and I've had cases primer pockets loosen up way too early. I like to think that since then I've learned a bit and go about it just a bit easier. 4 the most part... smile

Shoot straight!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy