Originally Posted by himmelrr
Kind of curious about this cartridge. I have an Win 70 Classic magnum action that needs a makeover. I am covered on the larger calibers. About my only gap is something that shoots really flat. A 270Win using 130gr at 3100fps is as fast/flat as I get right now. Any weaknesses, hard to get good loads, etc? Is brass a PITA to find? I only reload so factory ammo is not an issue.

RH

Have been playing with my first .257 Weatherby and am so far favorably impressed. Have killed a pronghorn, a pig, my biggest Whitetail buck and a whitetail doe. Additionally, a hunting partner killed his pronghorn with it too. The farthest anything has run was about 30 yards. Been shooting 80gr TTSXs at about 3700. Not a hot load by any stretch, but that's what it likes. Also shows great promise with 110gr Accubonds and 115gr Ballistic Tips. Haven't found the magic load yet with 100gr TTSXs. They don't shoot bad for me, about an inch or so, but not nearly as well as the stuff the rifle really likes. I have been using Winchester 7 mag brass, but I think as I attrit that, I'm gonna replace it with Norma Brass. Not completely satisfied with the runout I am getting from the Winchester brass, with most stuff coming in at about .003" to .004". IMR 7828 does pretty well, and R25 may end up being better, especially with heavier bullets. Not done with load testing yet, but so far, with both 110gr Accubonds and 115gr Ballistic Tips and R25, the warmer the charge, the tighter the groups. Also eager to see what I can do with 115gr VLDs, as the 155gr version has been the fastest killer I have used in my .308.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14