Originally Posted by hatari
I have have treat for all of you in camp, IF you are man enough to handle it. I regret that my duties as the manager of a 10u Travel Baseball team will keep me away from the Killing Fields, but I trust you will do your duties like some kosher Pol Pot and slay hogs right and left.

I have forwarded your reward to Pugs, who will scrutinize its quality, and report back to me, if he lives.

Enjoy it, you murderous Son of Swine Assassins!

Gents, This looks a bit scary and I will quality check it tonight but given the following background memo from Jeff I think I'll treat it like we did nuclear weapons and practice two-person integrity before I crack the seal! eek

Hatari Hootch
Please enjoy Hatari Hootch 2012. This is a New World version of Calvados, that rustic drink ubiquitous to the Normandy region of northern France. Now before any of you get the idea that Calvados is some cordial for some uptight Parisian sissies in silk britches and a powered wigs, let me set the record straight.

Normandy was settled by the Vikings, not poodle loving sword swallowers. The Vikings were badass. They sailed to NW France, hopped out of the boat, and told the locals to piss off, they were moving in. Not wanting to confront dudes that wore wolf skins and had muskox horns on their heads, the King gave them their own Fiefdom and asked them leave the rest of France in peace.

Vikings, being smart fellows, married the best looking girls they could find and settled down under their King Rallo. You might know one of Rallo's decedents, William The Conqueror, who slapped down the snotty English brats in 1066 at Hastings and became King of England. Showing his intelligence, he kept the Fiefdom of Normandy for himself and his descendants, knowing that English food wasn't equal to what he was raised on. The pale skinned Celtic chicks probably didn't do much for him either.

However, I digress. Normandy is a region perfect for apples, pears, and other fruit trees. It didn't take much imagination to press ripe apples into cider, and eventually, they got around to distilling it, as they are known to do anything that has any alcohol. The distillate is known to fortify one's courage, put fire in the loins and lead in the pencil.

I was introduced to Calvados by my good Norman friend and Viking descendant, Gilbert Tarriere. I enjoyed many camps with Gilbert in both Africa and Europe. Gilbert and his Norman buddies are passionate hunters of sanglier (hogs to you peasants), and Chasse du Sanglier was an enjoyable event that encompassed all the great things of a man's life: a good gun, and good wench, and strong drink.

Norman hunters do things right. They arise at a civilized hour for a big country breakfast, a shot of Calvados to ward off the cold, and take to the woods. Hogs are driven with dogs, by hunters on foot, and hunted from high shooting stands. It is typical to hunt the morning, have a extravagant field lunch of soup, fresh bread, rillette, pat�, sausages, and fromage (cheese). After a siesta, back to the Chasse!

Meanwhile, back at the camp cottage, the lusty wenches would be rustling up the grub for the evening, and setting the table and living room up for the festivities. The successful hunters would gut and butcher the hogs, get the fire going, and start roasting a gigot (shoulder) as well as cooking up all the unmentionable organ meats we tend to bypass in America (too bad, good stuff).

Calvados is passed around before, during, and after the meal. It is not babied like brandy, but sipped, swirled, and quaffed with relish. It is not for effete pansies in loafers, but rather hearty men with hair on their ass and a broad sword on their belt. Food is served in proportions that would impress King Rallo himself, and it is ones duty to gorge. Calvados helps there in the form of the le Trou Norman - the Norman Hole- which is a shot of Calvados taken between courses to stimulate the appetite. Some of the best I tasted was made "right down on the farm", and you bet I got the recipe.

The night ends (if you play your cards right) cuddled up with your favorite buxom wench, and a handful of pain killers for the hangover the next day.

Hatari Hootch is made in this tradition. Distilled from fermented apples and pears, aged in oak (however briefly)and bottled exclusively for the 24HCF Hogfest. I want all you intrepid hunters with Vikings in your soul and hair on your ass to grab glass and enjoy. Neat or on the rocks, it matters not. Sip it, swirl a bit around in your mouth, and deliberate on the taste sensations you get. Some you may find:

Apples
Pear
Vanilla
Carmel
Rum-like qualities
butterscotch
almond

You might like in coffee. I've never mixed it with anything else.

Best Wishes to all, wish I could be there with you this time.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated