Did you register your 85 with Beretta and create a customer support account?

I followed the instructions that came with the manual, registered my Sakos, and then created a Beretta Customer Support Account. They've always been extremely responsive in my experience and were always quick to have a technician respond to handle any issue I've had. If your matter cannot be resolved and it appears the extractor and/or ejector is indeed out of wack, let the take it back for repair.

On this forum, I've noticed a few individual Sako owners who have complained incessantly about getting no help from Beretta to address certain issues. But all along, the very same issues they were complaining about were already long ago addressed and documented by Beretta for any registered customer support user to easily find. I came to the opinion that some of those who were complaining never took the few minutes time to take full advantage of Beretta Support, but instead spent hours incessantly complaining on multiple forums.

As for scope mounting height. I have a current size-M model 85 to use for example. Using Optilock ringmounts sized low, the optical center of my scope tube is mounted a measured 1.64" above the bore centerline over the chamber. Using a Sako height comb, my line of sight falls near directly at this height when using a sighting tube in lieu of scope to measure for correct mounting height. Now compare this to my guild smith built model 70 which is fit to me. It has custom QD mounts sized low, the optical center of my scope tube is a measured 1.55" above the bore centerline over the chamber. The stock is fit so my line of sight also falls near directly at this height. The difference in height between the Sako and the Winchester is a measured .09"!! There is not a huge difference. The Sako is not somehow skyscraper high with the Winchester being ultra low.

As I've posted before, it is my opinion based on my experience that the ergonomics of the 85 is not a good fit for anyone who prefers to stock crawl, prefers to use a low comb stock, or prefers to use lower than Sako spec aftermarket mount in combination with any scope having bulky turrets. As for the Sako extractor, the case head will fail and lose a big chunk of brass if the cartridge is stuck solid in the chamber. This is because the Sako extractor has a long history of having a strong and solid bite on a chambered cartridge. The Sako extractor does not have a rep for being puny.

If you have a new rifle and either the extractor and/or ejector is out of spec, I see no reason why your rifle cannot be corrected by Beretta/Sako. If you have a used rifle that is out of warranty, I'd not expect Sako to fix the rifle on their dime, but I see no reason why it cannot be corrected by any competent smith. There are too many Sako 85s around the world that are working like a champ to believe that your rifle is the norm. If it is a lemon, well then it is a lemon and should go back.

I do hope you get the issue resolved. And Please, don't take anything I posted as being an attack.

Best of Luck smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood