Spot,

It will do both, it may eject, but leave a dent on the mouth of the case or on the bullet with a live round, or it will hit and leave a case or live round lying on the magazine follower or on top of other rounds in the magazine. It also leaves a deep ding where the case begins to slope down for the bottleneck. If you work the bolt at just the right speed you can see the round hit the left inside of the loading port, so mine is not just hitting the scope, the extractor is allowing the case to actually flip to the left before it comes back to hit the ejector. My scope set up is: Sako optilock bases, low optilock rings, Leupold VX3 3.5x10x40. There is almost a 1/2" inch between the bottom of the objective and the barrel. What I consider "faulty" is the fact that Beretta/Sako had to know that this would happen especially with long action guns, because of the position of the ejector. Beretta should have stated up front the following: BERETTA RECOMMENDES THAT ALL LONG ACTION MODEL 85 RIFLES BE FITTED WITH OPTILOCK BASES AND HIGH OPTILOCK RINGS TO INSURE PROPER EJECTION. If the consumer had been given that information up front, then I can see where "buyer be aware" would be appropriate. That was not the case however, and Beretta even put low rings in with the bases supplied. I can't tell you why some long action 85 owners have not experienced this problem and others have. The brand of scope must make some difference, and the height of ones rings has to factor in. Please don't think I am out to bash Sako rifles, as I own six. Three pre 75 models, a 75, the troubled 85, and a Sako .22. I consider Sako rifles to be very good overall, but I do think that they "screwed the pooch" with the positioning of the ejector in the 75 and 85.

Have a good day,
G2