Still my favorite out the box big game rifle. If mine hasn't run into these issues by now, I doubt it ever will. It is definitely one I would not see go. Still shoots bug hole groups, and runs without fail. Only thing on this rifle that gave me continual grief was the Schmidt and Bender. Great optics and outstanding mechanics, but don't think it the best choice for such a nice handling, well balanced, light weight rifle as my Sako. Every time I hunt the rifle, I think, crap, the rifle would handle so much better if I didn't have this big ass scope. Don't know what I was thinking to run such a heavy scope, so the only change I've needed was removing the truck axle for something simple, trim and light. Otherwise, don't see anything on the rifle bad, and don't see anything on the rifle that couldn't be fixed if it went bad.

Also love the Classic M70s, but only after they've been worked over, they fit me, and are well vetted. I have one of those left, chambered 416 Rem, and she's not going anywhere, but that was a lot of work getting her where she is now. The reason I went the 85 Sako route on my 9.3, I didn't feel like building another M70 for that chambering, wanted something turn key out the production box, and had already run 85 Sakos in 30-06, 338, and 375HH, that were all exceptional out the box. This last 85 9.3x62 has been so over the top fool proof, that it can hang pretty close with my guild smith built M70 in just about any way you care to measure raw performance, and that is straight out the box factory stock. Liked the rifle so much that I sold my most favorite and last 30-06. First time in my entire hunting life, since being a teenager, that I've been without a 30-06. That's how much I love this particular model 85. Absolutely ugly as sin, no aesthetic value whatsoever, but the best darn out the box production hunting rifle I've ever run, and it has been run pretty darn hard.

All this stuff is kinda like boots and backpacks, what fits and works well for one, may end up POS for another. When it comes to the M70 EW as example; I gotta have good fixed sights, so something along the lines of Recknagel is on my short list. I have no use for the Bell and Carlson stock, it does not fit me and does not work well with fixed sights. Most M70s I get my hands on end up getting a fair deal of work, even if keeping the barrel. So by the time I am finished, I end up spending more money, and a ton of time, to get something that fits me well and I really like. I am lucky to be close friends with a top shelf guild smith getting most everything free, or at most, cost. But even then, in comparison to what I paid for my last Sako, which fit me out the box near as close as my high end custom fit rifle, will go through a mag box of shells as slick as you please, has top shelf Recknagel sights, and everything on the rifle is take apart - put back together repeatable with little to no change in POI, that for me, I see it as a great bargain and awesome choice. But, like those boots and backpacks, the mileage of others may vary.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood