Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by Boxer
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Going to buy one or the other in a few months. I'm not interested in discussing the effectiveness of either on Whitetails. I'm not a reloader "yet" but will be as soon as a shop is completed and space is available.

What I want to know is, does either lend itself more easily to load development or bullet choices. I don't think in terms of throat length and mag confines or bullet choices, so I need to ask you guys. I would just like to pick the one that would more easily lend itself to the things a reloader does to achieve better accuracy. Does either the 243 Montana or 7mm-08 excel in that area?

If it's a wash, I'll likely pick the 243 since Whitetails will be the only game hunted and the kids or wife may use it at times, so recoil is a concern.

223 or 308 if you don't Reload. A schitty Colt Krunchenticker ain't even in the same book,let alone page...as a Montucky 223.

Now as the 243 vs 7-08 goes,in said platform...you is Hungchow in several ways. The 243 is 1-10" which sucks heavy ass and the 7-08 has more throat than box,though are twisted with enough RPM to do it all(which means 162's). I'd rather leap a 162,than kiss a Ping Pong Ball in the 243.

The 223 Montucky will be shot a whole [bleep] bunch more than anything else and along with the actual act of shooting,there is a byproduct of non-lineal "luck" that reliably begins to blossom.

Hint.

Now will a 223,243,7-08 and 308 shoot nice Agg's? Yes and reliably. Reliabler yet,is the dot connection of trigger time bolstering the daintytitude of relative Agg sizing. Conjoin light done right,in a handy/dandy parcel that is funner than [bleep] to shot and there will be a long line of patrons eagerly awaiting their turn. Good boolits,in good places...do great thangs.

Funny how it actually works.

Re-hint.

"I'd rather leap a 162,than kiss a Ping Pong Ball in the 243"
I still don't know what you mean by that statement and I've read it several times. Do you mean the 243 is too light? If so how is the 223 a better choice? I'm talking a Whitetail only rifle and 200 yards is a long shot around here. I'm sure the 308 is extremely versatile but recoil is a consideration.

He would rather shoot high BC 162 AMAX's in a 7mm-08 than low BC bullets in the 243. 243 has good bullets available, but the slow twist on the 243 Montana won't stabilize them. Accurate, high BC bullets will perform better for you than low BC bullets that kiss the rifling. If you are bound and determined to shoot low BC bullets out of a Montana, you may as well go down to the 223 - you'll burn 1/2 the powder and the recoil is so light it will encourage a lot of shooting. Lots of shooting is more important than chambering, BC, etc....

David