The Chuck Hawks article from the link above states that both Federal and Remington mangaged recoil loadings claim a 50% recoil reduction.

Deer are not really that hard to kill. I've killed them with a 40 gr. v-max out of a tactical 20 all the way through a 45-70 and 400 gr bullet.
Shoot them in the CNS or neck they go down. Break down both shoulders, they go down. Spine-shoot them, they go down. Heart or lungs, 100 yds or so. Gut shot, all bets are off. I use larger calibers as I'm always on the lookout for hoglets and it is very thick where I hunt. I want them DRT if at all possible.

Another thought. If you are worried about recoil. Get a led-sled and about 40 lbs of shot or weights.

[Linked Image]

Let your wife or kids practice off the bench shooting off the led sled. Make sure they wear ear muffs at least and perhaps foam ear plugs plus ear muffs. Let them get in some trigger time.

With the weights on the led sled, the recoil will be insignificant, and with the ear muffs/plugs, the noise should not be a factor either. This should help prevent them from developing a "flinch". To check, hand them an unloaded rifle (but don't let them know it's not loaded) and watch to see whether they are squeezing or jerking the trigger.

With ear muffs, recoil management and trigger time, when they do shoot at game, their blood will be up, they will be excited and the instinct borne of practices will pay off. They won't even notice the recoil of the one shot.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Best,

GWB

PS: That Sako is chambered for the 308 Winchester, but I'm running 46.5 gr. of Varget, 150 gr. Nosler Ballistic tips for practice and 150 gr. Accubonds for real, Lapua Brass, Federal 210 M primers and 2.800 COAL for about 2,800 fps., which is not a reduced load, but is a killer.

Last edited by geedubya; 02/24/14.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.