Sir,
another rifle another tale.......

Being a junk man at heart, I am always pickin' through other folks used items. Can't help it.
I picked up this action about 10 years ago. Never did any thing with it. The price was right and ya never can tell!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Sako S491 action

A couple years after I picked up the Sako action, a fellow had a used Richards Microfit thumbhole stock for sale. Turns out it just happened to be glass bedded for a Sako S491 action, once again, the price was right. Couldn't resist.

Fast forward to a year or so ago when I started postin' on 24hour consitently, As stated above, I'm pretty comfortable in my own skin, but what with all the wankers here and their fast twist Ackleys, it made me feel like a dwarf at Chippendale's. My equipment just wasn't cuttin' it.

So I got the hankerin' for a small caliber chambering with a fast twist barrel. Turns out a friend had a 1 in 8" twist Shilen Select Match stainless barrel layin' around his shop. Even had a 223 AI reamer and a Vais brake. I guess gunsmiths are like barbers. I told him I wanted to build a walking varminter, 22" barrel with a contour like a Remmy LVSF. You see what I got. LOL

Well, a few dollars traded hands, I pulled out an old scope I'd basically gotten free from another deal and tossed them into a feed barrel and rolled it down a hill at the lease. When I pulled the lid, dang if a Spare Parts Rifle didn't pop out.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sako S491 action, Richards laminate thumbhole stock. Twenty-six inch Shilen Select Match Barrel, Vais Brake, chambered for 223 AI, Burris 8 x 32 Signature Scope.

But, it makes an impression on critters........

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and shoots 36 gr. thru 82 grainers pretty much to the same point of impact and you can see the hit.

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/group%20pix/IMG_69691_zps323142ae.jpg[/img]

So, I guess I can slum the heavy barrel and the muzzle brake.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.