Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

That may be but since my maximum distance would be 300 yards, do I really need to be concerned with high BC bullets? I mean wouldn't I be more likely to get an accurate load being able to kiss the lands, or is the point that those bullets that will kiss won't stabilize with the 1 in 10 twist?

Trying to learn something here.

A couple thoughts

Nosler manual #7
243 Winchester, 100 gr. Partition (similar to typical cup and core in ballistic co-efficient)
BC: .384
MV, 2900 FPS
200 yd. zero 1.7� high @ 100 yds., 7.3� low at 300.
7mm-08, 140 gr. Accubond (my favorite in the 7mm-08)
BC:.485
MV: 2800 fps
200 yd. zero, 1.8� high @ 100 yds., 7.7� low at 300.. I�
I don�t know how the terrain is in your part of Alabama, but here it is thick. That taken with the fact that I am a meat hunter I almost never shoot past 300 yds. Additionally due to the fact that if an animal is not DRT, he many times is not found. A hole going in and one going out gives one two chances to find a blood trail. Conseqently I prefer a heavier bullet, usually 6.5 mm and up for hogs and deer.
Now as to kissing the lands.
It is my understanding that the chambers on production rifles are cut to SAAMI specs. Factory ammo is also loaded to SAAMI Specs. That means that any commercial ammo should chamber in any production rifle of the same caliber. I�ve owned many rifles from A to Z. It has been my experience on most that if one was to load the bullet out to where it kissed the lands, sometimes the base of the bullet does not even touch the case, much less fit in the rifles magazine. Typically magazine length is the most common limiting factor.
Here is an example.

This is the detachable magazine for a Sako 75 Varmint, chambered for the 260 Remington. Sakos are generally accurate and their chambers are not known for sloppiness. Notice the Maximum OAL of the cartridge that can be loaded in the magazine is 2.940. I don't know how you are, but I prefer to have a little wiggle room in the magazine/cartridge box.

[Linked Image]

The SAAMI max OAL cartridge length for the 260 Remington is 2.800�. I�ve developed a load for my Sako at 2.900 inches. This particular cartridge measures 2.902.

[Linked Image]

If I do my part the Sako will put three in a ragged hole at 100 yds.

[Linked Image]

Next, using my Stoney Point OAL gauge and a 125 gr. Nosler Partition, here is the cartridge �kissing the lands�

[Linked Image]
As you can see, to load this round with the bullet �kissing the lands , the rifle would have to function as a single shot.

Good hunting and best of luck with whatever you choose.

Best,

GWB

Thank you very much sir for the tutorial. I really need to learn a few things about reloading. Basically trying to buy the cart before I know the size of the horse.