Clark,

You seem like you're in a panic. Kimber to Tikkler, back to Kimber. Slow down dude grin !

Your Colt is 7-twist but you still got mag limits. And they don't carry as well as a Montucky, at least to me.

Low recoil, high volume shooting, extreme familiarity with rifle (and load) all lead to stacking of bullets from various shooting positions. If not, then repeat until the kinks are ironed out. But low recoil makes this easier.

If the wife and kids don't get the hang of shooting a lightweight-08 (243, 260, 7-08, 308), you'll have bruised shoulders, flinching brains, and a family that don't want to shoot. Then what? Let the shoulders heal, fix the flinch (have fun with that!), and get a 223 grin .

You're only shooting deer. And deer at 200 yards and less. I wouldn't get too wrapped up in power or "umph", or the 75gr AMAX which is a good bullet for longer ranges. Shoot another bullet in the Kimber, for now.

I'd worry more about getting the wife and kids to shoot bucket loads of ammo so they have extreme confidence in the rifle, load, and their abilities. Make the family full of dead-eye centerfire shooters and they'll put the bullets on the deer. Unless you guys are all naturals at shooting a centerfire, practice will be your friend and recoil affects everyone whether they admit it or not.

There, I think I just convinced myself to get a 223 for our boys wink grin.

Jason