Originally Posted by n8dawg6

Gdub, oh I hear ya on seating the bullet as deep as you want. But as ive heard it opined, the point of the rule was neck engagement/tension. the .300 win mag cain't have a minimum .308" of neck engagement to boolit.

Sir,

My apologies to you.

In that regard you were/are correct and I was wrong.

As I tell my kids, I knew that once, but I've slept since yesterday.

Without trying to beat it to death, I guess one of my pet peeves was showing. I tend to be an iconoclast.

I've loaded many different chamberings in numerous calibers, most, production rifles.

[Linked Image]

If I counted right, the pix above contains 36 different modified cases. In developing loads to be used to kill stuff in the past, I always checked out the max OAL cartridge lengths each rifle would accommodate. As stated previously many rifles are long throated. Over the years, I've almost quit loading "off the lands. Maybe I should call it Gdub's rule, but I want at least a cartridge diameter of bullet inside the case mouth. I may neck size with a collet die or even polish an expander ball to get more neck tension, but for concentric loads one needs sufficient purchase on a bullet. I still determine COAL, but typically load a few thousandths over the SAAMI book OAL.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.