Originally Posted by Pappy348
How's the feed mechanism holding up on yours? I've read that tube- feed wear out over time.

I've had a 581 since Christmas of '67. It's a good shooter, but this year I'm going to play with the bedding a bit to try and make it better. That single screw is kinda loosey-goosey.

Pappy,

I bought the rifle from a guy in South Dakota I worked with back in the early 90s. He used it to keep PDs out of the yard. It looked new when I bought it, and a Boyt case was included for the sum of 50 bucks.

The rifle fed perfectly until Fall last year. I had to work on it a little, but seems to be working pretty well now with some cleaning, smoothing and extractor work. When it starting messing up, I found that if you push on the rear of the bolt directly, it feeds like butter.

I've been playing around with the bedding on mine. I have not glassed anything, but found that it likes the barrel floated back to the shank. Still playing with it to figure out the best route to take. It does shoot very well.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson