Ranger_Green: Perhaps "hard" was an unfortunate choice of words, but your question really depends on your preferences. For this style of camping where weight isn't an issue, I personally favor the old ways over newer methods of camping. As such, I have found that an old BSA canvas wall tent, replete with 2 M38 army cots, an old Coleman duck flannel-lined sleeping bag and a 1949 vintage intermediate cold sleeping bag to be quite comfortable. A Deitz kerosene lantern, an axe/hatchet, a good pocket knife, a few canvas tarps, extra Manila rope, an old cook set with a spit and a few 'S' hooks, and a good cooler with ice/foodstuffs pretty much complete a comfortable camping set-up. A good broad-brimmed hat, good boots, sturdy canvas or cotton duck clothing, a few firearms and maybe an archery rig or pellet/BB gun for the kids (if they have proper instruction) are good ideas too. A few folding chairs and maybe a small table, a camera, a flashlight, leather gloves, bandanas, sun screen, Cutter bug spray, strike anywhere matches, a small bottle of Dr. Bronner's soap, a first aid kit, snacks for the kids, and a water cooler are extras that could come in handy.

If you're interested, I could PM you with my "Armijo Springs Camping Checklist."

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/25/18.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue