John,

A trapdoor is "tacticool"? I didn't know they had meth-crazed zombie bikers in 1866 nor even 511 pants!

I really hate to say it, but a lot of the AR15 dislike I believe is caused by some (certainly not all) of the folks shooting them. The only instruction some of them get is what they see on Xbox. I was at the range last week when a couple of mental masturbators were blazing away at 25 yds. and they couldn't hardly keep their shots on a full size silhouette. They were not the safest gun handlers, either. I don't know, but I would think that if you're going to buy a battle rifle you would want to learn how to properly use it.

I know this isn't a new phenomena. Us older guys can remember how Model 29 S&Ws were scarce after "Dirty Harry" and I suspect the westerns in the '50s and '60's kept single action revolvers and lever actions from dying off. I guess at least the wannabe "operators" aren't shooting themselves in the leg practicing fast draw.

We have an AR15 and a bunch of magazines at the house that we bought just because Obama didn't want us to have it. It really doesn't get much range time although everyone in the house including mom is familiar with it and can shoot it. I thought my 13 year old son would shoot it more but he likes the Garand and '03 Springfield more, possibly because he has been reading up on WWII the last few months. FWIW, we're shooting a cast bullet load in the '03 that shoots to POA @ 100yds. with the battle sights and groups surprisingly well.

The advertising hype that goes with the tactical toys and accessories is enough to turn me off. I have dropped all the gun magazines but "Rifle" and "Handloader". If I see one more advertising-laced article by some bearded, 511 clad "operator" extolling the latest version of an AR or 1911 I think I will puke.

"All I want is to enter my house justified."