Originally Posted by 3040Krag
John,

No my tongue was embedded too deeply in my cheek!

I know about the 50/70 and 45/70 trapdoors and the role they played in the winning of the west-a greater role dare I say than that of either the Sharps or Winchester. The trapdoor was tactical-not tacticool. I think tacticool is a modern thing, brought about by movies, media, video games, and most of all by advertising. I was a cop and firearms instructor for 21 years and cannot believe how I took my life in hands by not wearing the latest tactical duds and having all the newest wonderful gewgaws hanging off my firearms. I believe the lack of hunting and interest in traditional shooting sports has fueled manufacturers in creating new markets. The biggest market has to be personal defense. I really didn't know that I could not defend hearth and home with anything less than a tricked out AR, and it has been oh, at least 3 or 4 weeks since I had to shoot my way out of the grocery store parking lot! I find it odd that so many folks nowadays think that if they can just buy enough junk they will become proficient rather than buckle down and learn to shoot but maybe it has always been like that to some extent.

Upon reflection, maybe some of us old Fudds ought to offer to help some of these new folks become proficient, rather than just noisy. A nation of people that would take the time and learn to shoot would be a really wonderful thing and something that not even politicians would mess with. I am proud that all my kids and my two sons-in-law like to shoot.

Oh well, someone has to keep the ammunition and doodad makers in business.

BTW, none of us are immune to the influence of the media. I bought a 1903 Colt in .32 ACP just because Bogart looked good with one. I may get me a repo Colt Paterson just to shoot zombie Comanches and a Roman short sword to fight off hordes of meth addicted Huns and Goths.

Good post