I like both the "hunting" stuff and the "tactical" stuff. In my opinion both terms are abused, confused and misused. We are slowly turning into a nation of shooters more then hunters. Shooters that are more interested in hitting some thing in the next zip code then sneaking up close. Hunters that consider getting with in 600 yards a stalk, hunters that rely on electronics more then tracking and sign reading. Gear junkies, always seeking the latest and greatest. I often fall into that category.

For the last 54 years in Alaska I have hunted with a 30-06 and .338 with a "set and forget" scope and that met my needs, as did old and new Mod. 70 Winchesters. I now own a couple of Tikka 6.5 Creedmoor's, one is a 10 pound beast with a big first focal plane mil/mil scope and the other is a lightweight hunting rifle with a 3-9 SWFA. By golly, I too am going to learn to twist turrets. It is going to be fun!

My AR rifles are fun and good for protecting my "castle", as are my "fighting" handguns. My "castle" is my home, our RV, our tent, or any vehicle we are in.

I think the big change in gun magazines and interest in "battle" weapons came as a result of the "sand box" wars we have been in for the las 20 plus years. That has spawned a new way to look at rifle styles, optics and tactics.
We now have thousands of young men on our streets with combat experience. Not all of them are messed up and suffering from some combat related disorder. Many are working functional family providers and patriotic. I hope they all have a couple of AR's and a bunch of ammo and mags. We may need them again, we have unprotected borders.

Hunting in the United States is slowly headed towards the way it is done in Europe. Hunters used to live out of their back pack and hike all over in search of game. Many now hike to a tree stand or food plot after they reviewed the footage from their game cams. Many have no choice, it is the only style of hunting they know and have access to, I don't blame them for hunting that way.

The times are a changing.