I think a reason why more and more property owners are not allowing access is due to legal and liability concerns.

People by and large these days do not have personal responsibility. We live in a litigious society. Something goes wrong, people want to shift the blame to someone else and are more than happy to go to court.

As a property owner, you definitely need to be concerned and conscious of the possible legal liability that would result if someone gets hurt on your land. Doesn't really matter if you have a signed waiver stating landowner has no responsibility/liability for accidents. Lawyers will still take you to court. Who needs that headache?

In addition, many people these days have no respect for others and their property. Trashing up the place, bringing in friends and family, unsafe shooting/hunting practices.... list goes on. Not surprising why more and more land is posted.

I own hunting property here in Texas and also in northern Missouri. Aside from immediately family and an occasional guest that's with me, I don't allow others to hunt my land. Period.