Where to begin?

There is a difference between "tacticool" on the one hand and black rifles with plastic stocks on the other hand. The latter are more accurate, in general, than rifles with walnut stocks and hold their zero when it rains.

That said, I think an AR15 is pretty worthless for most hunting. It's too heavy for what you get, only fits small people, and can't be carried at the balance point in one hand with that pointy magazine sticking out. Also I never had any need for 20 shots while hunting. Caliber choices are limited.

As for home defense, I'll take a 12 gauge pump gun over an AR15.

But before you call me Zumbo, I think the popularity of AR15s for target shooting sports is a very good thing. With hunting declining, it's good we attract more and more people to shooting sports, on the range or wherever. There are neat "practical" sports where an AR15 fits very well. They're fun. I have probably put 10,000 rounds through AR15s, mostly High Power service rifle matches.

It's no secret that the Democrat Party is in lock step trying to outlaw AR15s. After that they'll revert to their earlier crusades--Saturday Night Specials (any handgun they don't like), "dum-dum" bullets (any that expand), "armor piercing" bullets (any that don't expand), "sniper" rifles (any rifles with scopes), and so on. The more voters who own AR15s, the more allies we have to head 'em off at the pass.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.