Originally Posted by BWalker
One of those Echols customers, former forum member Allen Day said basicly what I typed above about the Failsafe IIRC as has Barsness.

I suspect you are remembering me writing that Failsafes don't kill deer-sized game very quickly with heart/lung shots behind the shoulder. The bigger the game, however, the better they worked.

My wife and I used them for over a decade, starting in the early 1990s when they were first named Black Talons and Barnes X-Bullets usually did not shoot very accurately, and all together we took around a dozen species of big game in both North America and Africa with Fail Safes, ranging from whitetail, mule deer, and similar-sized African antelope, up through elk, nilgai, gemsbok, blue widlbeebeest, kudu to Alaskan moose and Cape buffalo. Plus, I went on several "industry" hunts where a lot of animals were taken, including one in Texas where 15 hunters took 30 nilgai (a bull and cow each) plus a bunch of feral pigs and even some javelina. The bullets included 140-grain .270s, 160 7mms, 165 and 180 .30s, 230 .338s and 300-grain .375s. Their only fault was a rare failure to expand. In fact can only remember one instance where that definitely happened.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck