Originally Posted by jorgeI
Nosler Partitions have been the most troublesome bullets for me to shoot accurately. That said when they do, I use them. The TTSXs have been the most consitently accurate bullets for me across all calibers and I use them more than most others. I do believe (and have experienced) TTSXs thrive on velocity (as I suspect all other mono metals do) and I use them accordingly. I use whatever shoots the best in my rifles AND appropriate for the game at hand. Lastly, some very credible folks here indicated problems with the Barnes' and I of course believe them. Bottom line is if I had only one bullet to use, without question, it would be a TTSX.

Jorge -

Your post pretty well sums up my experience as well. Partitions have given me accuracy issues, although my testing on them has been limited to factory ammo in my 7mm RM and handloading for my .257 Roberts, .30-30 and .300WM. Accurate enough to use, not as accurate as I like or as accurate as others.

Barnes MRX, TSX, TTSX and LRX have all been easy to find accurate loads in every rifle I've tried them in and have not been sensitive to jump. (I tend to let them jump .050" to over .100".)

My bullet and cartridge shelves have many boxes of cup-and core and cast bullets for rifles, from various manufacturers including Speer, Sierra, Hornady and Nosler. Premium rifle bullets include Swift Scirocco II and A-Frame; North Fork SS, FP and prototype SS-HP; Nosler Partition, AccuBond and AccuBond Long Range and Barnes MRX, TSX, TTSX, LRX.and TAC-TX. The Partitions are my least favorite and the unloaded bullets have been sitting on my shelves for a decade or more. Can't buy North Fork anymore but I have a lifetime supply of them in 7mm, .308" and .458". The Swift Scirocco II and A-Frame have been very easy to load for, although my use of them has been limited to one cartridge each - good enough for those two rifles but not much of a test overall. Since I have some for my 6.5-06AI, where they have provided outstanding accuracy, I may try them in my new heavy-barrel 6.5 Creedmoor.

The Barnes bullets may not have the highest B.C. values, but they are high enough for my needs which includes shooting out to 600 yards. Accuracy has been great at the range and on-game results include right at 50% straight down DRT with most of the rest of the animals going more than a few steps and none going far. If I had to choose one bullet family to use exclusively for hunting in my bolt and AR rifles, I'd sleep easy choosing the tipped X bullets..

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 02/25/20.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.