Originally Posted by Stilllearning

Brad, I’m curious was this a one shot kill or were multiple shots required?

Multiple, but I'm not sure why that matters.

When a $35 box of bullets behaves in a way that it's not designed to do, and does it more than most realize, that's a problem IMO. It's a paltry argument to say "it was pulled from a dead elk." If an airplane had the Barnes Rate Of Failure no one would fly in it.

One could just as easily load .308" sized FMJ's for a lot less money. But of course those are illegal for use on game, and for good reason - they don't expand.

Based on what I've seen, and what various friends have observed, I guarantee you more Barnes bullets are passing through game un-expanded than what most would imagine.

When they work, they work admirably. However, the only solid reasoning I can see to use them is based on a concern over lead poisoning, or where lead bullets are illegal. I'm not well versed enough on the science to have a firm opinion, but it may prove to be real. It certainly seems to be a problem for raptors feeding on gut piles, and that is not good.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery