Originally Posted by bigwhoop
I'm wondering if any manufacturers are experimenting with some of the non-toxic shot metals instead of relying on lead for expansion? I understand the simplicity of a mono-metal but still not convinced with all the "failures" still showing up too frequently. Not that I am out to appease the anti-lead zealots, but if you could combine the higher incidence of reliable expansion that lead delivers in a non-toxic, you could silence the anti-lead crowd but still deliver optimal results.
Do any of the gun writers know if this is being pursued?

Some companies are indeed making lead-free bullets which are designed to shed more weight, in order to kill faster. For example, the successful RWS Evolution Green has a "pre-fragmented" front section made of tin:

"The new lead-free EVOLUTION GREEN bullet is especially effective given its outstanding responsiveness. This is achieved through a specially pre-fragmented front core made of tin and the use of RWS' new Speed Tip bullet points which enable an impressive shock effect. This will guarantee humane and successful hunting."

They also offer the newer RWS HIT, which acts more like a Barnes or GMX.

[Linked Image from metsastyskeskus.fi]