Long post. Sorry

In 2005 I got two blue pits that I didn’t want. One of my best friends was being deployed to Afghanistan and left them with me. Brother and sister. Layla and Congo were there names. They were absolute babies and loving as all get out. They loved my Boston terrier who was older than them. He ruled the roost at 15lbs. I never trusted them whole heartedly though. Had a healthy respect of what a pit bull could do. I lived on a farm and had 2 pot bellied pigs and a fainting goat that lived inside as well at the time. Congo loved laying to sleep with the pigs but was freaked out by the goat. Kinda funny how scared he was of the goat.

Both died young from lymphoma. Vet said due to severe in-breading. The male weighed 115lbs and the female 95lbs at their prime

They would have loved on you way before they would have ever hurt you. I was young and had friends coming and going all the time. They loved everybody. They were very gentle, and never hurt anything. Congo looked like a dang beast though. Huge muscles. Huge head. Very mean looking. Jaws like you can’t imagine.

I still miss them as they were amazing companions. If I still had them today, I wouldn’t let my 3 kids near them though unsupervised . Seen too much working ER from pit’s, labs, and German Shepherd. Yes lab owners get offended. Seen lots of bad bites from labs. Layla and Congo could easily kill a grown man if they wanted, very quickly as strong as they were. They never once gave me the impression they were aggressive either.

Had a pit bull wiener mix named Kami. About 40 pounds. Short but long. Brindled, muscled as hell. She was kinda finicky with adult males. Loved kids though. Died after she bit a trailer tire backing into the driveway. Would never bat a eye about letting my kids near her. She was an amazing dog. wish I knew how to post pics, you would laugh at how she looked. Like a caricature. Probably the best dog I have ever had, or maybe a tie with my Boston terrier buster. Coyote killed him, but I got revenge.

When I was a kid my parents had a pit named Gretchen, and a German Shepherd named Ben. Gretchen was super protective of us 3 boys, and would have killed you for hurting us or even acting like you would have hurt us. Biotch meant business if another dog approached us. Lived a long life as a lap dog. Ben died after he bit the UPS driver at about 2 years old. Dad said he couldn’t be trusted. He never hurt anyone prior to that, but met his fate to a browning high power. Talk about a life lesson as a kid

That being said. I have been around some wonderful pit bulls that were amazing dogs, but I have worked ER for 12 years and seen what they can do. In my opinion they are dangerous, as well as many other breeds. They don’t nip, they go for kill when they bite. Would never consider owning another. If one showed up in my yard I would be shooting it ASAP. Even as someone who has owned and loved a pit bull, I think the breed should disappear forever

Pit bulls aren’t meant to be pets. They are a tool for protection or fighting. Have been around them probably more than most, but don’t see them through rose colored glasses at all.

My wife’s yorkies drive me nuts. Miss my German wired hairs honestly

Last edited by kevinJ; 06/02/20.