Originally Posted by deerstalker
Originally Posted by Hastings
Mr. Blackheart: I understand that people love their dogs and I think that you may very well be a good person. But no way is a livestock owner going to remain in business by allowing dogs to pillage the neighborhood. I gave up trying to talk to dog owners about their dog's depredations and bad behavior years ago. Business is handled and I don't complain and I don't explain. By the way I have lived in a rural environment all my life and have owned livestock for almost 50 years. And also have owned and loved dogs most of my life. We are talking about bad dogs, it's not like we're talking about offing a misbehaving child.

very well said. i might add that dogs running deer around here are shot on sight. a pair of dogs can run a deer to death. they can also harass cattle into fences and cause massive losses from Vet bills and time lost repairing fences, rounding up stock etc.
i am a dog lover and usually cry my eyes out when i lose one, but not a twinge of regret taking out a chaser.
there is an old saying, one dog ,half a brain. two dogs no brain. this apply's to loose dogs for sure.
As far as dogs running deer to death. Can and do are most often two different things. Sure they can under the right circumstances but they rarely do. Coyotes, black bears and automobiles kill far more deer than dogs.