Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by Jim1611
Originally Posted by Jim1611
Where in the New Testament is judgement threatened as a consequence for national sins...?
Why do you see a need to separate the New and Old Testement?
Because the Old Covenant is over. New Covenant values and imperatives stand in sharp contrast to the values and imperatives of the Old Covenant. It was the New Covenant values and imperatives that influenced Western Civilization. Jesus ended the Old Covenant once and for all.
Not all of it changed from then to now. The 10 Commandments are still the same now as then.
Many choose to see it that way. I’m not one of em’. Ancient Judaism came to an abrupt end on August 6 in AD70, signaled by the temple’s destruction. The Old Covenant wasn’t needed anymore...none of it...it had been fulfilled and replaced with a new, and better, covenant. I don’t equate the fulfilled-and-now-obsolete Old Covenant with Jesus’ New Covenant. God clearly separated the two. This is my perspective on the matter. I understand that you see it differently...and some others might also...and I’m cool with that.

My perspective also.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )